June 9, 2011

Update on Mr. Wesley

About 6 weeks ago, Spencer got the Hand, Foot & Mouth virus at school. I didn't realize it, but I caught it too. I didn't know because I never felt sick or had any of the same side effects that Spence did. Regardless, a blood test showed that I had it.

I went in to the doctor yesterday for my regular appointment and because of the positive test she wanted to monitor the baby's heartbeat for a while. They put me on the fetal heart monitor and also a monitor for my contractions. They were pretty surprised to find out that I was having fairly strong and regular contractions. They gave me a shot of a muscle relaxer so that they would stop - but they felt that the shot dropped the baby's heart beat a couple of times and they were concerned about that.

My doctor sent me straight to Good Sam where they monitored me for an additional hour or so. Everything was completely normal. Then they ordered a bunch of ultrasounds for me to determine how the baby looked and if he was stable. The ultrasounds also came back completely normal.

Essentially, they felt that the baby was 100% fine and sent me home.

As far as the Hand, Foot & Mouth issue - my doctor wants to test Wesley for anemia because that is the most common problem with fetuses whose mother contracts the virus. I have an ultrasound tomorrow afternoon (they can tell if the baby's anemic through ultrasound, apparently??) and we'll know more then. I'm guessing they may just put me on iron supplements or something to that effect, but it doesn't seem like anyone is too terribly concerned about him needing to be delivered early or anything.

Sooo, that's the latest!